Frequently you’ll find the need to create some kind of isometric drawing from whatever you’ve 3d modeled. Doing so is a relatively straightforward process. We’ll be working with the assumption that you’ve used Rhino to model out whatever it is you’d like an isometric view of. We’ll also assume that you’re going to take this straight into Illustrator to diagram. Keep in mind, the method changes depending on which version of Rhino you’re using.
There is no built in way to create an isometric view from within Rhino 4. The easiest way I’ve found going about this is by using a rhino script. Let’s go about loading said script. Please download and extract this: isomatch.rvb
- Save the IsoMatch.rvb file in a directory on your drive. I typically save my scripts in a dedicated scripts folder (e.g. C:\Users\MarioRomero\Documents\Scripts)
- Create a new alias called IsoMatch with this macro: _-loadscript “C:\…\isomatch.rvb”. (*)
- Replace the dots with the directory of step 1.
- In my case it is: -_LoadScript “C:\Users\MarioRomero\Documents\Scripts\IsoMatch.rvb”
- The script should now be loaded.
Choose the PresetValues option. you can then go on to assign particular angles for the view (in order to achieve an isometric, dimetric, or trimetric views). In this case, we’ll stick with the default of 30 degrees for both axes. Set the Z axis to auto. The camera rotation allows you to specify from which direction to to take the axon (0 = SW, 90 = NW, 180 = NE, 270 = SE). Once done, you’ll wind up with a relatively true axon.
I highly recommend you update to Rhino 5 as there have been a slew of improvements made (you can get a 90-day evaluation copy from here). At any rate, getting an axon view in Rhino 5 is incredibly easy.
Now is your chance to create separate layers of your drawing in order to line weight them in illustrator. Go ahead and select the line work, got to File > Export Selected > in the Save as type, choose Illustrator > and name your drawing accordingly > hit the options button to change the scale > then hit the OK button to export. This will be the result